Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Currently Playing #10

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2)



This updated version of OutRun 2 is the first OutRun game I ever played and if I may be so bold, I prefer it over the original 1986 OutRun. It comes fully loaded with all of the music from OutRun, Turbo OutRun, tons of remixes and arrangements of the music from the aforementioned OutRun titles, and the arcade game OutRun 2SP is even included. Yeah, Coast 2 Coast gives the player a ton of mileage.

I played Coast 2 Coast to death back in 2006 when I picked it up. I was addicted to attaining high scores and unlocking much of the game's content. I amassed quite a bit of OutRun miles and had a ton of cars. But a former friend lost my PS2 memory card so I've had to reclaim everything that I'd lost. I've a long ways to go and playing Coast 2 Coast with the control pad is a chore for me because I'm so accustomed to the analog stick. Why am I not using the analog? My PS2 Dual Shock controller's left analog is very screwy. The slightest touch can send it locking into place to where my in-game characters are constantly moving left or right. A lot of PS2 games work with the original PS Dual Shock. Sadly, Coast 2 Coast is not one of those games. And I wish I could kick my girlfriend out of the car. She can be so annoying.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (3DS)



The more of SSFIV I play, the more I like. I thought this game took place after the Street Fighter III series, but when playing as Ken, his son was born at the end of the game and by the time Street Fighter III rolls around, Ken's son has grown considerably. I'm really intrigued by much of the character's stories in SSFIV. Sagat has changed a great deal, calling Ryu "an old friend" during his ending. He's no longer ruled by anger as he was in earlier SF titles. Sakura sounds cuter than ever thanks to her voice actress. Speaking of voices, I've spotted quite a few Funimation voice actors on board. Guile is voiced by Travis Willingham, who is the voice of Roy Mustang on Fullmetal Alchemist, and since Guile himself is a soldier, that strikes me as a hilarious casting gag, but just as he does with Mustang, Wilingham does a great Guile. Chun-Li is voiced by Laura Bailey and her ending shows her paling around with Guile, kinda like how they did in the Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.

Mega Man Zero Collection (DS)



I finished Mega Man Zero 3 a few weeks ago so now I'm working through Mega Man Zero 4, still on Easy Scenario. Spikes are instant death in this game unlike how they just caused big damage to you in Zero 3. I can't remember what level it was, but it had plenty of spikes and moving blocks in a confined area. These blocks reminded me of the disappearing blocks from the Classic Mega Man series. Except Zero is bigger than these blocks and the way they move in the tight space means little room for error so it's really easy to get crushed. I died so many times on that level that I turned the game off. I don't get that way around Mega Man games often, but Zero 4 ticked me off to that point.

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PS2)



My favorite Virtua Fighter and the game that really got me into the series. I played a bit of Virtua Fighter 4 and Virtua Fighter 3tb, but Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is really the game that blew the doors off for me in this series. The meat and potatoes of VF4: Evo has always comes from Quest Mode. You can select one fighter and spend countless hours going through the virtual arcades going up against fighters with AI modeled after real life VF4 players. Not just that, you get cash and can earn a plethora of items to customize your character with, which is something I've always been a fan of. You can deck your fighter out with shades, wrist bands, new outfits, alternate colors and many more clothing accessories. Quest Mode is easily one of the most enjoyable single player fighting experiences from any fighting game. Of course VF4: Evo's deep fighting mechanics do help. The three button combat system that was introduced way back in the original VF still hold up quite well and I continue to be amazed with the number of combos and moves I can pull off.

A great extra in VF4: Evo is the Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary game. This is VF1 remade with all of the cast from VF4: Evo along with some tweaks like the speed and frame rate from VF4: Evo. It's fun to see the VF crew in such a low polygonal count and because it uses the speed of VF4: Evo, it's very playable.

No comments: