Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Currently Playing #9

Mega Man 9 (WW)



I didn't play Mega Man 9 until 2010 and while I really liked the game, there are issues I have with it. This game has way and I mean WAY too many spikes. I know Mega Man games are designed to be difficult, but cripes! It's like Inti Creates thought the best way to challenged the player was to have instant death around them at all times.

Also, I feel that Mega Man 9 tries way too hard to be another Mega Man 2, right down to the reused jingles from the aforementioned game. The lack of charged Mega Buster and Slide are also low blows to me. Yeah,  Proto Man can do these things but his knock back is even worse than Mega Man's when he takes damage. This game is hard enough as it is and I have no desire to make it anymore difficult.

Having said all that, Mega Man 9 is still one of my favorite games in the Classic Mega Man series. It has a (mostly) nice set of Robot Masters, some of the coolest weapons around and some sweet themes in the form of Concrete Man, Tornado Man, Galaxy Man, Hornet Man and the first two Dr. Wily Stages. The Endless Attack mode is also one of the best additions to the series, one that was so good that fans created ROM hacks for this mode for the first five Mega Man games. I hit a new record last night at 75 screens. Yeah, it's nothing compared to those 9999 scores, but it took me a while to get as far as I did.

Mega Man 10 (WW)



I'm gonna go ahead and be one of those weirdos and say that I like Mega Man 10 more than Mega Man 9. 10 feels like it's trying to be it's own game and not another Mega Man 2. Proto Man is there from the get go and is included in the story. I'm not big on DLC but I adored being able to play as Bass and the Special Stages based of the GB games were great added content. Even better, you got to keep Enker, Punk and Ballade's special weapons! I actually end up using these things a lot when I run through the game. It's great to be able to just blow through Shield Attackers with the Ballade Cracker or destroy an enemy that's hovering over your head with the Screw Crusher.

I really love the level design in Mega Man 10. Even joke Robot Masters like Strike Man have nice stages. The last time we saw a stadium in a Mega Man game was in Mega Man Soccer so it was nice get the scenery again. Blade Man's old castle has one of my favorite mini bosses ever and Chill Man's arctic lair has got to be one of my favorite cold themed levels in a video game.

Anyway, I just cleared the game as Mega Man so I'll be playing as Proto Man next. It's always been more difficult for me to play as Proto Man in 10 since he takes more damage and his shield only works when he jumps. Still, he can charge and slide and he's Proto Man! After that, I'll finish the game as Bass.

Still Playing: Mega Man Zero Collection, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition

1 comment:

Tom Badguy said...

I've beaten 10 but never played 9. Hmm, I may have to go try get it on XBL.